Monday, July 20, 2009

Vacation in the Mountains

Jon and I just returned from a family vacation to Red River, NM. Jon's family tries to go every year, but this is the first time I've been as a member of the Richey family. Jon's family has very close friends who own a cabin there, and this is where Jon and I got married in 2007. We had not been back since the wedding. Jon and I arrived on Saturday, his parents came on Sunday, and his brother and his wife came on Wednesday. Jon's sister, Kiersten, and her husband were not able to make it there this year and were greatly missed.

We drove there because even if you fly, you have to rent a car and drive 3 hours. We also cook all our meals while there since Jon's family consists of master chefs. However, the grocery store there leaves much to be desired, so all the food must be brought with us. That being said, Jon and I set off to RR around 3:00am last Saturday morning. It's about a 13 hour drive. We stopped in Groom, TX to see the largest cross in the western hemisphere. I mostly just wanted out of the car, but it turned out to be very worth the stop. There were statues all around the base of the cross representing the stations of the crucifixion.

We enjoyed stretching our legs.

The next morning, Jon and I rode the ski lift and took in the beautiful scenery. At the top of the mountain, I posed for my Week 22 photo.

My manly man going to catch me some dinner.

Let me just take a moment to let you all in on a little secret. High altitudes and pregnancy don't mix! I was short of breath all week. Jon's family loves the outdoors, but I was stuck inside the majority of the time gasping for air.

This is where I was stationed for much of the week. Jon was being sweet and keeping me company at this point.

This is what would happen when I did go on a walk. I'd have to sit down and rest after about a quarter of a mile. Thank goodness all Jon's family was very understanding and wouldn't just go on without me.

The more vigorous hikers. Jon, Juliet, and Tommy (my FIL). Shane was there as well documenting the trip. Jon's mom was sweet enough to stay behind with me and keep me company at the cabin.

I really did get on my feet a few times.

One of the things I really wanted to do while we were there was take some pictures in the same spot where Jon and I got married. We got permission from the lady who owns the land on the last day we were there and I'm so thankful.


The best we could do without a professional telling us what were good "pregnancy poses."

I'll leave you with a few pretty sites.




3 comments:

  1. YOU LOOK SOOO PRETTY!!!! That is so cute to take pics where you got married! Love that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like fun. I really like your 'pregnancy poses'. How special to take them where you got married.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great time...i love your blog design.

    I was reading a comment you left on another blog about Macs...I bought one several months ago and cannot seem to get started on it...I think I am just intimidated by it...and feel bad that it is just sitting in the box....Where do I start?

    ReplyDelete