Saturday, September 26, 2009

Different Generations

For those of you who don't know, I work as an Occupational Therapist. I work at an inpatient rehabilitation hospital for people who have had surgery, car wrecks, strokes, things like that. The majority of the people I work with would be considered in the geriatric population. I just love this group of people because I feel that I learn so much from them. They pass on wisdom to me that I wouldn't get from the peer groups I normally surround myself with. Since I've gotten more and more noticeably pregnant, I've gotten a lot more snippets of advice. Some are comical, some are truly helpful, but none have been rude..until yesterday.

Let me preface this by saying that this past week has been National Rehabilitation Week. All employees were given t-shirts to wear on Friday in celebration of this week. I normally do not wear t-shirts anywhere but around the house and to the grocery store, but I wore one to work yesterday. I got a size medium, since the small was borderline showing my stomach sticking out the bottom. Therefore, this t-shirt allowed ample room for my stomach, but was slouchy and hanging off my shoulders, etc, but I figured it was better than showing my pregnant belly.

So this is me in my big t-shirt that I wore to work yesterday.

Now, on to the rude comment. I worked with a patient who was in her early-to-mid 70s and we got along great. She never mentioned anything about me being pregnant and if patients don't bring it up, neither do I. Well, after our session, along came another therapist who asked this dear sweet lady how things went with Lindsey. The patient proceeded to say, "She was fine to work with, but she is very inappropriately dressed. She shouldn't be allowed to wear such tight clothing with her pregnant belly showing like that. When I was pregnant, women wore tents so no one could see our stomachs."

At first I took offense to this. I don't know how I'm supposed to hide an 8 month pregnant stomach other than locking myself behind doors for the remainder of my pregnancy. But after some time has passed, I can only look at this situation and laugh. We are from different generations, and while I wish that we would adopt some of the values of previous generations, I am glad that women are no longer hidden away behind doors or "tents" while they are growing the miracle of life.

5 comments:

  1. I love the look of a big pregnant belly--it's such a special thing, and I'm glad we don't have to wear muu muus to hide them! How rude--but it is funny. The rudest thing I've heard so far has been from a couple of ladies I work with who have repeatedly told me that my baby is going to be huge because I'm about to pop. I really don't think that's the case, but whatever, I guess... You just gotta smile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I AM SOOOOOO Glad we (pregnant women) don't wear tents anymore! I feel much more normal when I am wearing clothes that "hug" my belly. Even more then before I was pregnant I think. I also just feel prettier and less giant when I am not wearing a tent. I am glad you can look back and laugh at that comment. She truly is from a different time and you don't look the least bit inappropriate. You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's wise of you to understand and appreciate the views of other generations.
    I think you look cute all the time! ;)
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. The old bat needs her mouth washed out with soap!!!! : )
    LOL...Old folks and kids,you never know what might come out of their mouths!

    Love you much~
    Jana

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found your blog today. After looking
    at your pictures, you are adorable! I see nothing wrong with the t-shirt you wore.
    I think I would be upset too! But I am glad
    you found it be funny.
    I love the name you picked for your baby girl.
    Best Wishes!
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete