Monday, March 8, 2010

Big City Weekend

Adeline and I had an extremely busy and fun-filled weekend! It all started Thursday morning when we flew to DFW and rented a car BY OURSELVES!

Thursday, March 4, 2010
Adeline was great on the plane. I fed her during takeoff, and she napped a little, but was then wide awake the rest of the flight. She didn't act as if her ears bothered her at all during the landing. After landing at DFW, catching a shuttle, renting a car and a HORRIBLE carseat (more on that later), we headed to surprise one of my BFFs Amanda for her birthday. (But not before stopping in the Grapevine Mills Mall parking lot for me to breastfeed Adeline - yes, I did that!) Amanda is a 2nd grade teacher in Flower Mound, TX. She had no idea I was coming in town. I had cleared it with her school, but she was completely shocked when I walked in.

Adeline loved all the bright colors and little children. She got very loud and talkative while Amanda was trying to do the last lesson of the day. One little boy said he was going to have to put in his earplugs if she didn't be quiet. :)

From there, we headed to Ft. Worth to stay with another BFF Ashley and her husband Peter. We met some friends from college at a restaurant that evening, but I didn't get any pictures.

Adeline had a good time playing with Peter when he got home from work.

Trying her darndest to roll over and/or chew on Sophie.

Since I flew, we had to leave some of Adeline's bulkier paraphernalia at home. Ashley and I bathed her in the big bathtub that night. Ashley held onto her while I washed her and Adeline just thought that was the most hilarious thing ever. She giggled the entire time. That night we made her a pallet on the floor and she slept great. I was so worried she would get off her routine and wake up multiple times a night while we were gone, but she didn't. She was perfect!

Friday, March 5, 2010
Friday we headed to Irving, TX bright and early to see my friend Sara and her precious baby boy, Noah. It was Adeline's very first play date. I went to graduate school with Sara and Noah was born just 6 days before Adeline.

Aren't they just so cute? Noah is much stronger than Adeline. He constantly wants to stand up and when he's on his stomach, he pushes up on extended arms. Adeline is nowhere near doing that! She's got her mom's upper body strength..haha.

Noah also is quite a bit heavier than Adeline, but she's probably 2 inches taller than him. :)

Holding hands. Isn't that just too cute?

From there, we headed to Jon's Aunt Barbara & Uncle Herschel's house in Ft. Worth. We visited for a short while with them and Adeline really showed out. She was laughing and talking like she'd known them all her life.

Aunt Barbara

Uncle Herschel

Then we headed over to my Great Aunt Charlotte & Uncle Lynn's to see them and my cousin Kelly and her family. I didn't get many pictures there, because at this point I was completely exhausted. My mom came in town and met up with us there and we all had dinner together. Then my mom, Adeline, and I headed to our hotel in downtown Ft. Worth.

Adeline was so happy to see her NaNa.

At the hotel, Adeline slept in a little crib. She doesn't do this at home, but in this crib she would wiggle and wiggle until she got close enough to the bumper to rest her forehead on it.

It made me a nervous wreck, but every time I moved her, she'd make her way back over to it. (Yes, I still swaddle her and I know it looks cruel, but she loves it and won't stay asleep any other way.)

Saturday, March 6, 2010
Saturday we lazed around the hotel until mid-morning enjoying the comfy beds and room service. Then we headed over to my Great Aunt Carolyn's to see her, my cousin Cari, and my other Great Aunt Mary. Carolyn made us a delicious lunch and we spent a good part of the afternoon there visiting and enjoying each other's company.

Cousin Cari

Aunt Mary

Aunt Carolyn

Then my mom, Adeline, and I did a little shopping and headed back to the hotel. We rested a little until dinner. My cousin Brad and his wife Kelly and Adeline's Aunt Kiersten came to visit and eat dinner with us. It was such beautiful weather in Ft. Worth this weekend, that we decided to walk to dinner. Adeline was absolutely thrilled. She hasn't been outside much since the weather here has been so atrocious. My mom carried her facing outward and the whole time we were walking Adeline was kicking her legs and looking all around at all the people and cars and big tall buildings. It was too cute!

My mom and Adeline with Adeline's wind blown hair and bow.

Adeline with her Aunt Kiersten.

Cousins Brad & Kelly

Sunday, March 7, 2010
Sunday morning was spent packing up and waiting for my friend Ashley to come have brunch with us.
Adeline lounged in the bed while my mom and I packed.
It was a rainy day and Adeline enjoyed looking out the window at all the people below scurrying to church under their umbrellas.


She's just so precious!

Brunch with Ashley. Adeline just loved Ashley. She would smile and giggle just about every time Ashley spoke to her.

We had a great weekend, but were completely exhausted by the time we got home yesterday and we really missed Jon. Today Adeline and I are spending the day relaxing and recuperating from our busy weekend.

Now, I told you I'd tell you more about the horrible car seat. When I booked the rental car, I asked about an INFANT car seat and they assured me on more than one occasion that they had them and that I could rent them. Well, when I get there, they give me this horrible car seat that can be both rear and forward facing, so it's for both infants and toddlers (or so they claim). It sat at a 90 degree angle! Every time she'd fall asleep her poor little head would just flop forward. (The following picture is not for the faint of heart.)

I was almost in tears all the way from Amanda's school to Ashley's apartment on Thursday. I thought her neck was going to break. I contemplated whether or not to even share this since it makes me feel like a horrible mother, but I decided this was information all travelers need to know. This is the kind of car seat you will be provided if you rent one from Budget. BEWARE! I wish I would have gone through the hassle of trying to take our own.

3 comments:

  1. UGH! I HATE Budget for several of my own reasons/ experiences! Poor little Adeline! We always travel with ours and it isn't a hassle at all since it can be checked with your baggage at no charge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been reading your blog for a while now, but have never commented (I came over from Katie's).

    I had a baby on October 28th, 2009 so our kiddos are close in age. I still swaddle Bryce and if I try not to he just wakes himself up. We still put him on a positioner - do you do that? It seems to keep him in one place. I have been contemplating taking him out of the swaddle and try to get him use to sleeping without it, but am afraid of how bad that may be. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire you for taking a trip by yourself with so many stops and visits along the way!!!! Traveling with a baby is just plain hard but it does get easier! Adeline looks all to familiar in the swaddle....we swaddled Carter for a good 5 or 6 months. He would not sleep any other way. Eventually he preferred one arm out, then slowly he wanted to be completely out.

    ReplyDelete