Sunday, July 25, 2010

(One of) My Best Friend's Wedding

This past weekend, something wonderful and joyous occurred. One of my best friends married the love of her life. However, that's the only thing wonderful and joyous that happened in my life this weekend. The wedding was absolutely beautiful and perfect and I enjoyed every minute of it, but everything else that took place this weekend was a real bummer! We left bright and early Friday morning to get to Dallas for the rehearsal & dinner. We stopped twice and got stuck in traffic, which caused us to be in the car for 7 straight hours. Needless to say, Adeline was not a happy camper at this point. When we got to the hotel, they had not given us and my parents adjoining rooms like we had asked and we had about 20 minutes to change clothes and get to the rehearsal. We ended up being late, which I HATE doing! The rehearsal was short and sweet, but I had to leave a few minutes early to feed Adeline in the parking garage. Then we headed to the rehearsal dinner which took at least 30 minutes to go a distance of about 7 miles. By the time we got to the restaurant, Adeline was miserable. She screamed the whole time we were there. Jon and I stuffed the delicious fajitas down our throats and rushed back to the hotel. We did not have a fridge in our room, so the breast milk I had brought with me for Aunt Kiersten to use Saturday night was ruined. I laid in bed stressing over this for a good hour, then I decided I'd just get up at 5:00 and pump enough for her to have that night. Well, I got up at 5, but when I shut the bathroom door, it clicked and Adeline woke up screaming. I had to feed her what I was going to pump in order to calm her down. She fell back asleep for maybe 30 minutes. I lay there then praying and stressing even more about what I was going to do for her that night, then it dawned on me that my parents had 6 frozen bottles in their freezer. They weren't leaving until Saturday morning. I called my mom to ask her to bring 2 bottles with her right as they were walking out the door. Thank you, Jesus. Saturday went as well as it could go with a fussy, teething baby. We shopped a little and ate lunch at the Cheesecake Factory. While we were there, the fussiness got worse & Adeline threw up twice. We hurried back to the hotel for me to feed her & put her down for a nap before I got my hair done for the wedding. She ate well, but then only slept for maybe 45 minutes. We knew at this point that Jon was not going to be able to leave Adeline. She was way too fussy and sick to be pawned on off on poor unsuspecting Aunt Kiersten. Then the wedding festivities commenced. It was absolutely fabulous! I cried and danced and loved every minute. After the reception, I stayed with my parents to help clean up and we headed back to the hotel. I took a quick shower in my parents' room and quietly crawled in bed with Jon. About 30 minutes later, Adeline woke up screaming her head off. (This is approximately 12:30am) I picked her up and put her in bed with us. She stopped screaming, but did not go back to sleep until 3:30, then was up again at 6:30. We hurriedly packed our things and shoved some over-priced breakfast buffet down our throats and headed home. We got about 5 miles from the hotel when we were pulled over and ticketed for speeding. Could this day get any better? Adeline slept the first hour and a half, then I fed her and we headed back out on the road. She fussed on and off for about an hour then she completely lost it. She was absolutely hysterical! We were on a 5 mile long bridge and could not pull over. By the time we made it to a place where we could pull over, she and I were both crying hysterically. Thank God I have such an amazing husband who is calm under pressure. He made it all better. But then, there must be some icing on that cake. We come home to find that Tulip has chewed up the molding around the front door. Our friend kept her this weekend and had only dropped her back off at our house about an hour before we got home. So now, we've fed and bathed Adeline early tonight in hopes of getting a little more sleep. It is now 8:00 and we're all in bed. I hope we can stay that way until at least 7am! I see a little white speck on her top gum, but it still hasn't broken through. It's amazing what one little tooth can do. (I know this was long and boring, but I wanted to document it because I keep telling myself that one day I'll look back on these last 72 hours and laugh.)

With all the drama going on, I forgot to take any pictures of the beautiful bride. These are the only ones I got of the whole weekend.
Rehearsal Dinner - this is as good as it got
Jon hung out with his sister & her friend while I was at the wedding
I snatched this photo from someone else. Aren't they just perfect?


  1. Oh, I am so sorry!! I definitely feel you! The joy of traveling with a teething baby!! I think I would have gone insane with a 7 hour trip in traffic! Not sure what our plans for the holidays will look like now ;)

  2. BLESS.YOUR.HEARTS!!! I have to say that up until just about the time we moved back, Cilla did horrible on the road. Every time we went somewhere over night I vowed I would never do it again. Then I would in hopes that it would be better than the time before! When I see you I will have to tell you all about our KC trip. I can completely sympathize! Hang in there and get some rest! The teething does get a little better. At least it did for us. The Bride and Groom are beautiful!

  3. Oh wow. I can't believe it just got worse! And being stuck on a bridge when your baby is so upset would push me over the edge too. Hope your week gets better.

  4. OH! You poor thing! That stinks. We still dont see any teeth coming, but some days I think they are! We drove to Oklahoma and back on Saturday to see friends. It was 3 hours there and 3 hours back! He slept most of the way, BUT THEN he would not go to sleep till midnight! AND we were both so tired and I had to get up before 5 am!!! Have you mixed foods yet?!?